Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Visa Information in English

Passaportes com vistos diferentes

visto, © Colourbox

05.05.2023 - Artikel


Online application for Blue Card

Who needs a visa?

Depending on the duration of your stay, your nationality and your residence status in Spain you may need a short-term or a long-term visa:

Short-term visas are also called „Schengen-Visa“ as they allow a stay up to 90 days in a 180-day timeframe in the Schengen area.

If you intend to stay longer than 90 days, you would need a long-term visa (also called „national visa“).

For short stays (up to 90 days), you do not need a visa if

  • You are a citizen of an EU member state
  • You hold a valid Spanish residence permit. Note: a „autorización de regreso“ is not sufficient
  • You do not want to work

For stays of more than 90 days, you do not need a visa if

  • You are a citizen of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the USA or the UK
  • You are a citizen of Andorra, Brazil, Honduras, Monaco or San Marino and do not want to work
  • You are in possession of the Spanish residence permit „residencia de larga duración UE“ / „RE larga DU UE“ (autorización de residencia de larga duración UE de conformidad con la Directiva 2003/109/CE de 25 de noviembre 2003) 

You are allowed to enter Germany without a visa and apply for the residence and/or work permit at the local Alien Authority. We suggest, you contact them previously to consult all requirements and necessary documents. In any case you are not allowed to initiate any professional activity until you are in possession of the corresponding working permit.

Additional general information can be found here.

How do I apply for a visa?

You need an appoitment to submit your visa application. Appointments can only be arranged through our online appointment system.

At the moment the German Embassy in Spain does only provide information on the visa procedure and the required documents in German and Spanish. You may also consult the website of  the German mission in your home country as the visa process is similar at all German missions abroad.

For any additional question, please contact us via the contact form.

What are the requirements for a health insurance for a national visa (type D)?

Please see the information provided here.

Where can I find information about working in Germany?

Answers to frequently asked questions you will find here.The official site of the German government for migration to Germany offers in-depth information and useful links.

Can I study in Germany with my Spanish residence permit?

The EU's mobility arrangements enable you to also study in other Member States (with the exception of Ireland and Denmark) for up to 360 days if you hold a residence title for study purposes. Find out more about the necessary steps to benefit from the mobility arrangements here.

nach oben